28November2014

Board Meeting Minutes from April 1, 2014

MINUTES
Redwood Community Radio - Board of Directors
Tues., Apr. 1, 2014
Healy Senior Center, Redway, CA
I. Call to order: Meeting ground rules; opening comments from the President
II. Roll call: MEMBERS’ REPS - President Siena Klein, Treasurer Julia Minton, Nella White. PROGRAMMERS’ REPS - Vice President Noel Soucy, Marcy Stein. BOARD-APPOINTED - Christine Doyka, Mark Marchese. Station Manager Jeanette Todd (ex-officio). Absent: Secretary Jack Frybulous, Kim Peterson.
Others Present: Jama Chaplin, Bob Stern
III. Approval of March minutes postponed
IV. Approval of Agenda- Julia moved to approve the Agenda. Christine seconded. Approved unanimously.
V. Open time - Speakers will be assigned an amount of time not to exceed five minutes.
Jama - If there is time at the Evaluation Retreat, the Board Member’s job should be discussed. The Handbook doesn’t include the gist of what it means to be a Board Member. It would help potential Board Members to understand what the job is about.
Marcy - There was a recent workshop that addressed this issue, and hopefully we can start this discussion at our retreat.
VI. Management report- See report in Board Packet.
VII. Discussion / questions for Management
• Christine - Question about allocating funds to maintain the transmitters.
• Nella - Beth, Nella and Jay are having a meeting on April 16 regarding Donor Snap.
• Siena - Would it be good if we allocated $3,500 towards the transmitters?
• Jeanette - Would like the Board to read Simon’s report before allocating money towards the transmitter? She would like to see it keep moving forward.
• Julia - Depreciation is real assets losing value. We need to save as much money every year as is lost to depreciation.
• Jeanette - Does the Board have any thoughts on what we could do about the camping at the station problem?
• Noel - I would like to see a live-in at the station that would have the responsibility of dealing with this issue.
• Jeanette - The station is very inviting, with all the fruit trees, free coffee, bathroom and microwave. Staff is pretty burned out about dealing with this issue; the homeless have nowhere to go.
• Marcy - Programmers need a late night sign-in sheet for guests at the station, and a gate. We need to have more policing.
• Noel - I don’t think that programmers are the root of this problem. It is really part of the bigger issue of homelessness in our community. I don’t see where having a sign-in sheet for programmers is going to help. I think we need to talk about this issue in committee.
• Julia - Would like to see KMUD continue to be open to the community. Maybe designating volunteer hours as a policy would help. Mateel has a live-in.
• Siena - Suggests that Policy Committee address this issue.

VIII. Consent calendar
A. Rohn Jennings is appointed to Policy Com.
B. Jim Lamport is appointed Elections referee.
C. Board approves policy revisions re: appointment (rather than election) of the representative of the programmers and volunteers to the Management Evaluation Com. each year. See draft in Mar. 4 packet.
D. Jim Lamport is appointed to the Mediation Com, in a Community member seat.

• Julia moved that we accept Items B, C and D of the consent calendar. Noel seconded. Approved unanimously.
• Item A moved to New Business Item C.

IX. Treasurer’s report
• Julia - Finance Committee didn’t meet this month; scheduled to meet April 15. The budget – except for three lines – has been approved.
• The Website Committee also did not meet. Simon had requested funds to improve the website by hiring a consultant. A financial statement is included in the Board Packet.
• Jama recommends that before Julia leaves we table the Unfinished Business Action Item D. Budget.
• Nella said that the Treasurer’s report doesn’t need to be so eloquent; Julia recommends that the Treasurer’s report be quarterly.
X. Unfinished business
A. CPB requirements (see esp. pp. 16-17: CPB General Provisions)
i. reminder: HAF offers an upcoming class in multi-cultural inclusion
B. Auditor’s contract- Jeanette submitted all the changes to the Auditor.
C. Tech proposal – Jeanette thinks we need a $30,000 Tech Reserve.
• Nella would like to see us formally do something to protect our reserve.
• Noel - Can we use our line of credit for a tech reserve?
• Jeanette - We haven’t formally secured a line of credit.
• Marcy moved that we direct the Finance Committee to acquire the information we need that would allow us to acquire a line of credit. Noel seconded. Approved unanimously.
D. Budget - Nella moved we table this item. Noel and Christine second. Approved unanimously.
E. Re-define Treasurer’s responsibilities - Noel moved we discuss this at the retreat. Christine seconded. Approved unanimously.
F. Appoint Elections Com. and its chair - Noel moved that we appoint Mark, Jack, and Marcy to the Elections Committee with Mark as chair. Christine seconded. Siena offers assistance to Mark in the Members’ Rep election. Approved unanimously.

XI. New business
A. Schedule annual membership meeting
• Siena suggests the 17 June. ACTION: Noel will check availability of the Healy.
• Noel moved that the Annual Membership Meeting take place 17 June at 4 pm. Mark seconded. Approved unanimously.
B. Board recruitment- Nella suggests Ben Schill. Noel suggests for Programmers’ Rep. Dan Murphy or B’Anna Frederico.
C. Rohn Jennings appointment to Policy Committee
• Jama - Rohn volunteered for this appointment. Policy Committee needs new members who are willing to do stuff.
• Mark moved we appoint Rohn Jennings to Policy Committee. Noel seconded. Approved unanimously.

XII. Reports
A. Programmers’ Reps. – Jack proposed a meeting before the Pledge Drive: 19 Apr? Another proposed date is 10 May. ACTION: Programmers’ Reps are encouraged to discuss this by email.
B. Members’ Reps. - No report.
C. Community Advisory Boards - No reports.
D. Correspondence Secretaries - Christine sent out a thank-you to Kelly Lincoln which was returned. Suggested to use her KMUD box. ACTION: Jeanette will email Christine a list of thank-you’s. Jama suggested there were some stand-out people from the Silent Drive: Mish Bartlett, Dennis Lewis, and Scott Kender.
E. Development Com. - No report.
i. Pledge Drive subcom. Next drive: April 22 to May 1, with the theme: Cannabis. Goal: $95K.
F. Policy Com. - No report.
G. Mediation Com. - No report. (New member Jim Lamport was confirmed.)
H. Management Evaluation Com. – Siena distributed a report.
I. Transition Com. - Met on 17 Mar. with Jeanette, Marcy, Nella, and Noel at Café Bella.

XIII. Schedule - monthly meeting times of Committees
Unless otherwise noted, all meetings take place at KMUD, 1144 Redway Dr., Redway, CA.
If you plan on attending a meeting, it would be wise to confirm no changes have taken place.
A. Board of Directors May 6, 5 pm; Healy Senior Center
B. Development Apr 7, 3 pm
C. Executive Apr 14, 11:30 am
D. Policy Apr 14, 3 pm
E. Finance Apr 15, 3 pm
F. Website Apr 8 or 15, 10 am
G. Board Talk Show Apr 9 - Jack, Siena, and Christine
Minutes submitted by the Secretary on 24 May, 2014.

by acls us
by acls us

Our Mission and Vision

Vision Statement: Redwood Community Radio envisions a community of listeners who, guided by example of RCR programming, work together to create better, more just and sustainable world systems to ensure that all human and other living species on earth move toward higher quality of life and are able to survive the challenges in the times ahead.

Mission Statement: Redwood Community Radio will encourage a communication center of open airways (KMUD) for all voices to inform, educate, entertain and inspire the listening community through quality programming.

listenlive  

 

Redwood Community Radio, Inc. • PO Box 135 - 1144 Redway Dr. • Redway, CA 95560 • Office (707) 923-2513 • News (707) 923-2605 • Studio (707) 923-3911