19September2017

Board Meeting Minutes from February 3, 2015

VISION Statement - Redwood Community Radio envisions a community of listeners who, guided by the example of RCR programming, work together to create better, more just and sustainable world systems, to ensure that all humans and other living species on earth move toward a higher quality of life, and are able to survive challenges in the times ahead.
MISSION - Redwood Community Radio will encourage a communication center of open airways (KMUD) for all voices to inform, educate, entertain and inspire the listening community through quality programming.
MINUTES
Redwood Community Radio - Board of Directors
Tues., Feb. 3, 2015 – 3:30 pm
Healy Senior Center, Redway, CA
 
A note from the Secretary ~ Beginning with these minutes and from now on, language about motions will appear in a different font, so that this information (including how the Board voted) may be more quickly located. (You can download a pdf version of the original minutes, this text version does not support the different font feature.)
 
I.Call to order: Meeting ground rules; opening comments from the President.
II.Roll call:  MEMBERS’ REPS – President Siena Klein, Parliamentarian Cody “Comfy” Dillon. PROGRAMMERS’ REPS – Bud Rogers, Secretary Jack Frybulous, Vice-president Dan Murphy. Station Manager Jeanette Todd (ex-officio). Absent: Members’ Rep Julia Minton, Mark Marchese. Christine Doyka arrived at 4. Search to identify a Treasurer is ongoing.
III.Approval of January minutes. Jack moved to approve, Bud seconded. Unanimously approved (5 votes).
IV.Approval of agenda. Siena asked that Board Self-Evaluation Retreat be added to New Business. Jeanette asked that two items be added: 2015 Spectacular! Spectacular! [S!S!] budget, and responses to Open Time and to CAB reports. Jack moved to approve the amended agenda, Cody seconded. unanimously approved (5 votes).
V.Open time - Emily Hobelmann and Emma Nation present. Emma advocated creation of an anti-bullying policy. Jeanette replied briefly, in agreement. At Jeanette’s suggestion,
Jack moved that the Policy Com. be directed to add language regarding workplace bullying, violence, and harassment. Bud seconded. Unanimously approved (6 votes).
VI.Management report – Jeanette outlined her report, referring to information contained in the packet. Highlights included plans for the next Silent Drive letter; BoD appointments to Elections Com. in March; and a major tabling blitz planned for Apr – May.
VII.Discussion / questions for Management – Bud asked how one gets on (and expressed interest in joining) the Pledge Drive Com. Jeanette suggested submission of a letter of intent.
Dan moved that Policy be directed to look into how people get assigned to or approved for Committee work. Jack seconded. Motion approved, 5-0. Yea: Bud, Christine, Dan, Jack, Siena. Abstained: Cody.
 
VIII.Consent calendar
A. Fairness Doctrine – 1st consideration. Jack asked what issue had precipitated the addition of the language about talk show hosts answering callers off-air, and suggested that (except for this), he was ready to approve. Jeanette recalled a show where – because more than one caller had gone off on tangents – the sheriff had only had time to answer 3 questions, while the lines were lit up with other callers. Jeanette had sent it back for more work to Policy, esp. since several drafts had so recently appeared. Bud felt the language was unnecessary, that hosts already have this freedom. Cody felt that “language not being needed” wasn’t a good reason to postpone consideration.
Cody moved that we vote for approval as-is. Bud seconded. the motion passed, 4-2. Yea: Bud, Christine, Cody, Jack. Nay: Dan, Siena.
B. Programmers’ Agreement – 1st consideration.
Jack moved we approve the consent calendar; Christine seconded; approved, 4-1. Yea: Christine, Cody, Bud, Jack. Nay: Dan. Abstained: Siena.
 
IX.Finance Com. report – from Jan. 20 submitted for review. Will need to look again at budget for staff training. Jeanette will look into where other radio stations get their funding from.
X.Unfinished business
A. revise Management Eval procedure. Dan’s proposals were submitted to committee, but proposed revisions were rejected. Dan: We’ll continue with existing procedure. An evaluation form will be distributed to staff, and another one to Programmers, Volunteers, Members. Completion expected in April.
B. update: search for a Treasurer. Another candidate has declined, and Jeanette is working on another. Jack will follow up with someone he knows who works up Island Mountain way. Bud has also approached someone. Cody suggested filling 9th seat with anyone; Jack argued saving it for someone qualified to be treasurer.
C. streamlining Elections process. Dan read Marcy’s report aloud. Bud moved we direct Policy to streamline this process; Dan seconded. Unanimous.
D. Vice-President job description (neither policy nor a by-law). Jeanette thought overseeing CABs should be a Members’ Rep duty. Dan moved to approve; Bud seconded. Unanimous.
E. Update: database project – All data ready to go to Donor Snap! It’s hoped RCR will have a new db fully functional by the Spring drive.
 
XI.New business
A. Budget for Cuzzin Marc event, Apr 4 at the Mateel. Dan requested that KMUD fund the Kitchen and Bar, possibly lights, sound and hall rental. Michael Jacinto has been asked to MC. Babette will do kitchen. Bud moved to direct Dan to develop this idea, and present at next Board meeting. Christine seconded. Unanimously approved.
B. Rivendell Automation proposal. Dan and Bud expressed reservations: that the system might be mis-used, substituting for live DJs (Dan) or that it adds complexity (Bud). Jeanette agrees with Cynthia that we do need a system to replace our reliance on iTunes, and to get what we want from our library. Jack thought we should go forward but, with Cody, expressed concerns about paying for it. Ask Simon for alternative proposals, or a demonstration? Cody suggested a field-trip to a station using the system: customer reviews. Bud asked about hidden training and programming costs? Dan moved to ask Simon to look up alternatives and give us a demo; and (with language added by Siena), that the M. and P. Directors also provide feedback. Bud seconded. Unanimously approved.
C. Larry Bruckenstein is appointed to Grievance Com.
D. Policy on anti-harassment, -bullying, -violence: see Open Time.
E. Board retreat for Self-Evaluation. Siena presented 3 options: plan a retreat (possibly professionally facilitated), or respond to a form corresponding to BoD job descriptions; Christine opted for a retreat. Bud agreed, and proposed Team Building. Retreat to KVMR in May, in conjunction with (but separate from) an NFCB regional summit. Siena will develop or discover templates for Board evaluation. Bud asked to develop a proposal for a short team-building exercise. Christine will contact Hospice for availability; Bud will develop his proposal; Siena will work on an agenda.
F. 2015 S!S! budget – Jeanette: 2014 goal was to break even, but we lost money. Max. capacity was 160 meals. $8K most KMUD would be willing to put down in 2015 as start-up, that (producer) Jennifer Metz would cover upfront costs to ensure the show goes on. Producer’s fee: $3000 (waived if KMUD doesn’t make money), or 10% if the door brings in > $20K. Aim to sell 200 tickets, at $75 / $100 + 8 VIP tables. EPIC had initially been approached to partner with us but their schedule required them to scale back, while still offering us volunteer (incl. working the bar) and promo support! Humboldt Green Week has offered to make S!S! a kick-off event.
Bud moved that an $8K budget for S!S! 2015 be approved. Cody seconded; unanimously approved.
G. Responses to Open Time, CAB reports. President’s job to reply (or assign replies) to Open time participants. Siena would like CAB reports to be reviewed (then posted on the bulletin board) by Member Reps. Jeanette offered to respond to the CAB reports.
Dan moved that Member Reps liaise with CABs. Bud seconded. Unanimously approved.
 
XII.Committee Reports
A.Programmers’ Reps. Dan said that we Reps would better facilitate the next meeting, that some issues like Programmer IDs (Cynthia in favor) didn’t get discussed as a result.
B.Members’ Reps. Siena: nothing to report. Cody: vibes-checker and stacker needed. Dan asked about processing surveys. JT suggested that Programmer Reps look at News portion; Member Reps look at signal upgrade.
C.Community Advisory Boards. Bettye Etter has submitted a report from the CAB - West. Many got pledge drive news in the mail, but not ballots.
D.Correspondence Secretaries.
E.Development (see Manager’s report)
i.Pledge Drive
F.Policy – see report.
G.Mediation. No news.
H.Emergency Preparedness. Nothing to report.
I.Management Evaluation – 3 Board members, a Programmer / Volunteer rep., and a community member. (See as well Dan’s report.) Emma read a letter in which she stated she was “effectively an assistant manager at KMUD for three years;” and expressed interest in Policy, Mediation, Emergency Preparedness, Mgmt Eval, and Finance committees, and said she would attend as many Development meetings as she was able to. Emma was thanked for her willingness to get involved.
J.Transition. Jeanette: met with BR who asked for eight weeks of training, but agreed on four. March 3. Other jobs for her have been discussed.
K.Elections. Siena: Committee to be formed next month. Members are asked to consider signing up. (Naturally, any BoD member running would be ineligible.)
L.Networking. Siena and Jack will go to Mendocino to increase support in Ft. Bragg and focus on outlying areas. JT: put together a taster/mixer, tabling opportunity.
 
Schedule - Committee meetings 
Unless otherwise noted, all meetings take place at KMUD, 1144 Redway Dr., Redway, CA.
If you plan on attending a meeting, it would be wise to confirm no changes have taken place.
M.Board of Directors 1st Tues., 3:30 pm (Healy Sr. Ctr.)
N.Development Tues., Feb. 10., 3 pm
O.Executive 2nd Tues., 11:30 am
P.Mgmt Eval 2nd Thurs., Feb. 12, 11 am
Q.Policy 2nd Mon., 10 am
R.Program Selection 2nd + 4th Tues., 1 pm
S.Finance 3rd Tues., 3 pm
T.Board talk show 2nd Wed. (Apr., Jul., Oct., Jan.)
U.Transition Wed., Feb. 18 – 1 pm
V.Board retreat Feb. 25 at noon (Hospice)
W.Board / Staff meeting3rd Tues. (Mar., Jun., Sep., Dec.)
 
 
This meeting lasted 3 hrs., 11 minutes, including a ten-minute break.
Agenda submitted by the Secretary 7 Apr., 2015.
 
Last modified on Wednesday, April 29, 2015
by acls us
by acls us

Our Mission and Vision

Vision Statement: Redwood Community Radio envisions a community of listeners who, guided by example of RCR programming, work together to create better, more just and sustainable world systems to ensure that all human and other living species on earth move toward higher quality of life and are able to survive the challenges in the times ahead.

Mission Statement: Redwood Community Radio will encourage a communication center of open airways (KMUD) for all voices to inform, educate, entertain and inspire the listening community through quality programming.

listenlive  

 

Redwood Community Radio, Inc. • PO Box 135 - 1144 Redway Dr. • Redway, CA 95560 • Office (707) 923-2513 • News (707) 923-2605 • Studio (707) 923-3911