26March2017

Board Meeting Minutes January 12, 2016

VISION Statement - Redwood Community Radio envisions a community of listeners who, guided by the example of RCR programming, work together to create better, more just and sustainable world systems, to ensure that all humans and other living species on earth move toward a higher quality of life, and are able to survive challenges in the times ahead.
MISSION - Redwood Community Radio will encourage a communication center of open airways (KMUD) for all voices to inform, educate, entertain and inspire the listening community through quality programming.
MINUTES
Redwood Community Radio - Board of Directors
Tues., Jan. 12, 2016 – 3:30
Healy Sr. Ctr., Redway, CA
I.Call to order: Meeting ground rules; opening comments from the President
Roll call:
board-appointed
Christine Doyka, Treasurer Sarah Scudder (arrived 3:45)
members’ reps
Cody Comfy Dillon
programmers’ reps
Secretary Jack Frybulous, President Dan Murphy, Jimmy Durchslag
station manager
Jeanette Todd
absent
Maria Savage, Vice-president Siena Klein, Mark Marchese
II.Approval of Nov. and Dec. minutes. Nov minutes unanimously approved, with a minor change, re: Consent Calendar item B. Jack moved we table approval of Dec. Minutes: Also unanimously approved.
III.Approval of agenda – Jim mentioned we approved Budget in last meeting. JT reminded to add 2.3.5 to next month’s meeting. JT suggests we add Bali vacation payout (to New Business, B). Unanimously approved.
IV.Open time – Jama Chaplin spoke: Potential for confusion over names of the Fitch fund. Jeanette replied: At the last meeting, the Board decided to re-name the $50K reserve fund the Mapes reserve. The (newer) Fitch reserve fund auto-withdraws $500 monthly from checking. Also present: Dopey, Brittany Hutcherson, Michael McCaskle.
V.Management report – will create a more detailed report for Members’ Meeting. Jeanette replied to Cody’s question about withdraw from Quikbooks, having to do with the auto-withdrawal from our checking account, which happened on the 1st, but which Dian had not yet taken into account. JT: The original Fitch disbursement had $106K to begin, and needs to be trued up; monies there have already been spent or allocated. Jack asked about educating the listeners to have shorter drives. JT: Dev’t and Pledge Drive Committees need to make a thoughtful plan. Jim: Priority for Pledge Drive Committee.
VI.Discussion / questions for Management Dan asked about staff transition: JT: phenomenally positive. Had concerns that UW would be damaged, but we raised $184K. Bridget helped bring in $24K, where every business required a study session. Production Assistant hired, split between Ruby and Nate; JT and Simon meeting tomorrow to talk about Nate’s being brought on as Tech Asst. Comfy asked about how property is holding up to the rain.
 
VII.Closed Session – personnel
 
VIII.Finance Com. report – JT prepped this report, meeting planned for next Tues. JT: paperwork behind, looking forward to getting caught up. Would like to have something user-friendly for Members’ Meeting. Sarah thanked Jimmy and JT for work on budget.
IX.Unfinished business
A. Budget – has been passed, so removed from the agenda.
B. Strategic plan, check-in: JT: before next meeting of Board and Staff. 
C. Security Store – lighting, to discourage campers, and re-assure Programmers. Gate? Fencing off? (Discussion of getting a live-in caretaker has been indefinitely back-burnered.) Grounds Cmte will take over from JT what to do next.
 
X.New business
A. Office copier, new one needed: buy or lease. Lease expires Oct. 7. Copier was bought five years ago, then the company went out of business, now maintained through Wells Fargo. We save about $1200 per print job by doing it in-house. (This will be added to the June agenda.)
B. Bali vacation pay out – the winner doesn’t wanna go! and is requesting payout. Dan at first moved to not pay out people who win trips, but retracted. Jim moved we offer $1000 payout this time. Jack seconded. Unanimously passed.
 
XI.Committee Reports
A.Programmers’ Reps. Next meeting needs to be scheduled. 
B.Members’ Reps. Rob Bier, Mark Marchese. M’s meeting needs to be scheduled. Opens at 2, goes till 3. Packets on tables, President’s report, Treasurer’s report, Q-and-A. Update contact info, and include CAB schedule. Nominations will close at the end of the evening.
C.Community Advisory Boards
D.Correspondence Secretary
E.Development – report in packet. Amy Goodman, Spectacular2, Block Party after that.
i.Pledge Drive – positive response from News Dept. Many of Simon’s suggestions have already been turned into action items. 
F.Policy – Comfy: focus for 2016 is refining what we have to make it more digestible for all.
G.Grounds – Will come up with a plan for lighting. Next meeting will be scheduled online.
H.Mediation – Both Kelley and Margaret have expressed interest in serving. Christine will contact Siena about what’s happening.
I.Emergency Preparedness – meeting two months ago; like to see another one for follow-up. News room policy overlaps with station response. RCR is part of S. Humboldt’s ER units – SHED? We want a copy of their policy to see what our role is.
J.Management Evaluation – going over procedure next two weeks. Christine, Jimmy, Peter Ryce, Angela Zane, Dan. Report coming week before March BoD meeting.
K.Hiring – job description for Dev't Coordinator to come on board by end of March. 
L.Elections
M.Networking. Sarah will get in touch with me, I’ll contact Garberville CoC.
 
XII.Schedule - Committee meetings 
Unless otherwise noted, all meetings take place at KMUD, 1144 Redway Dr., Redway, CA.
If you plan on attending a meeting, it would be wise to confirm no changes have taken place.
A.Board of Directors From now on: 2nd Tues., 3:30 pm (Healy Sr. Ctr.)
B.Development Tues the 19th., 11 am
C.Executive Wed., Jan. 20th, 11:30 am (now normally 3rd Tues.)
D.Policy Wed., Jan. 20th 1 pm (now normally 3rd Weds. at 11)
E.Program Selection 2nd + 4th Tues., 1 pm
F.Finance Thurs the 21st at 11 – from now on 4th Tues. at 3 
G.Board talk show 2nd Wed. (Apr., Jul., Oct., Jan.): Comfy, Sarah & Alex
H.Board / Staff meeting 3rd Tues. (Mar., Jun., Sep., Dec.)
 
This meeting started at 3:35, and ended at 6:15 (2h, 40 m).
 
Last modified on Friday, February 19, 2016
by acls us
by acls us

Our Mission and Vision

Vision Statement: Redwood Community Radio envisions a community of listeners who, guided by example of RCR programming, work together to create better, more just and sustainable world systems to ensure that all human and other living species on earth move toward higher quality of life and are able to survive the challenges in the times ahead.

Mission Statement: Redwood Community Radio will encourage a communication center of open airways (KMUD) for all voices to inform, educate, entertain and inspire the listening community through quality programming.

listenlive  

 

Redwood Community Radio, Inc. • PO Box 135 - 1144 Redway Dr. • Redway, CA 95560 • Office (707) 923-2513 • News (707) 923-2605 • Studio (707) 923-3911