VISION Statement - Redwood Community Radio envisions a community of listeners who, guided by the example of RCR programming, work together to create better, more just and sustainable world systems, to ensure that all humans and other living species on earth move toward a higher quality of life, and are able to survive challenges in the times ahead.
MISSION - Redwood Community Radio will encourage a communication center of open airways (KMUD) for all voices to inform, educate, entertain and inspire the listening community through quality programming.
Redwood Community Radio – Board of Directors
Tues., Dec 8, 2016 – 3:30
Healy Senior Center, Redway, CA
I.Call to order: Meeting ground rules; opening comments from the President
Christine Doyka, Mark Marchese
Cody Comfy Dillon
Secretary Jack Frybulous, President Dan Murphy, Jimmy Durchslag (arr. 3:59)
Treasurer Sarah Scudder, Vice-president Siena Klein, Maria Savage
II.Approval of November minutes – postponed.
III.Approval of agenda – unanimously approved.
IV.Open time – Bill Telnes and Jama Chaplin addressed the Board; Zack Gonzales was also present. During the 16 minutes allotted to Bill, he spoke about his having been indefinitely barred from the station. Jeanette clarified that, if he had radio business, he could be at the station during business hours. Jama Chaplin said that FCC forms 316 and 323-E had not been filed, and requested a disposition; JT explained they were not yet required to be submitted.
V.Management report – Amidst a significant staff turnover, Jeanette was pleased to announce that the Hiring Committee had been unanimous in its recommendation to hire co-news directors Sydney Morrone and Isabella Vanderheiden. Our first CPB grant money arrived, and financially RCR is getting back on its feet. This reserve (called the Fitch Reserve) now has $3K, in addition to a separate reserve fund (now named the Mapes Reserve), which contains $50K.
VI.Discussion / questions for Management – Jimmy asked if we had repaid bequest funds that we’d spent, and getting clear information about such issues has been exacerbated by the unavailability due to pressing health issues of a key provider of financial data. Jimmy clarified that the Reserve is separate from the Music Library (aka Fitch) account, and that we are aiming to replace $38K. The last drive brought in $99K (incl. $32K in the Silent Drive), for which we paid $1200 to coordinators, and (only) $56 in food over 16 days. Some Board members may start making phone calls shortly to encourage those who’ve pledged to pay. Jack thanked Jeanette for getting the Donor Snap database up and running (which allowed us to call and solicit additional pledges from past donors), but she again reminded us that Nella and Beth deserve most of the credit.
Five of the six board members were in favor of adding a Closed Session to discuss personnel and hiring issues.
VIII.Finance Com. Report – Increasing underwriting revenue is hard because the database is so shot, even bills are hard to do. Jan. 2017 target for all things. Jimmy moved the budget be accepted; I seconded. Jimmy had questions about JT getting paid (and working) less, but a motion to approve the budget with three changes – sub revenue down $10K, underwriting down $10K, adding $12K to transition budget – was unanimously approved.
IX.Closed session – Personnel
A. Celebration Appreciation
(a) logistics, planning for: Band needed. Last year’s budget (with 260 people in attendance) was $2K, which traditionally is mostly spent on food, as beer and wine usually comes to us no cost. Admittance will be discussed at Development. Christine moved we authorize JT to spend up to $3K, unanimously approved.
(b) revising ballot: 2160 ballots will be sent out next week.
B. Members’ Meeting, promotion of. No lengthy discussion.
C. Strategic plan check-in. Tabled.
D. Budget check-in (done)
E. Mediation Committee, status: Maria needs to be replaced. Jama pointed out that Policy calls for two Programmer and Volunteer reps to be elected.
F. Elections Committee, status: Jimmy will see that reminders are put in Programmer boxes, and signs put up at station.
G. Hiring Committee, update: The committee comprises Jeanette, Maria, Christine, Dan and Shahine (formerly Marcy). Brittany Hutcherson has been hired as Admin Assistant, and is working out really well. A job description for the Development Director will be ready in January.
H. Policy Committee, forms for reporting violence: Jimmy moved to approve 2.3.5 [“not share board recordings”], Dan seconded. 2nd approval for next meeting. Unanimously approved.
A. Broadcast from Emerald Cup: We want as many people to do live broadcasts as possible, and we don’t want to burn out Simon, who is training Nate to do live broadcasts with Eric.
B.Members’ Reps – Comfy will record a promo about the Members’ meeting, once we know more about entertainment, etc.
C.Community Advisory Boards – Emma submitted a CAB report.
F.Policy – will submit a form that’s been overlooked.
I.Emergency Preparedness met and reported.
J.Management Evaluation – Dan will ask Angela Zane (who has agreed to serve). Jimmy asked Peter Ryce, who said yes. Julia Minton?
M.Networking – Think of a friend who wouldn’t usually come out to a meeting. Jack said he’d find out meetings of Garberville CoC and Rotary, to recruit new Board members there.
XIII.Schedule - Committee meetings
Unless otherwise noted, all meetings take place at KMUD, 1144 Redway Dr., Redway, CA.
If you plan on attending a meeting, it would be wise to confirm no changes have taken place.
A.Board of Directors Tues., Jan. 12 – 3:30 pm (Healy Sr. Ctr.)
B.Development Wed., Dec. 16 – noon
C.Executive Tues., Dec. 15 – 11:30 am
D.Policy 2nd Mon., 10 am
E.Program Selection 2nd + 4th Tues., 1 pm
G.Board talk show 2nd Wed. (Jan., Apr., Jul., Oct.)
H.Board / Staff meeting3rd Tues. (Dec., Mar., Jun., Sep.)
This meeting, including a Closed Session, lasted about 3 hrs, 15 mins.