Redwood Community Radio - Board of Directors
Tues., Apr. 1, 2014
Healy Senior Center, Redway, CA
I. Call to order: Meeting ground rules; opening comments from the President
II. Roll call: MEMBERS’ REPS - President Siena Klein, Treasurer Julia Minton, Nella White. PROGRAMMERS’ REPS - Vice President Noel Soucy, Marcy Stein. BOARD-APPOINTED - Christine Doyka, Mark Marchese. Station Manager Jeanette Todd (ex-officio). Absent: Secretary Jack Frybulous, Kim Peterson.
Others Present: Jama Chaplin, Bob Stern
III. Approval of March minutes postponed
IV. Approval of Agenda- Julia moved to approve the Agenda. Christine seconded. Approved unanimously.
V. Open time - Speakers will be assigned an amount of time not to exceed five minutes.
Jama - If there is time at the Evaluation Retreat, the Board Member’s job should be discussed. The Handbook doesn’t include the gist of what it means to be a Board Member. It would help potential Board Members to understand what the job is about.
Marcy - There was a recent workshop that addressed this issue, and hopefully we can start this discussion at our retreat.
VI. Management report- See report in Board Packet.
VII. Discussion / questions for Management
• Christine - Question about allocating funds to maintain the transmitters.
• Nella - Beth, Nella and Jay are having a meeting on April 16 regarding Donor Snap.
• Siena - Would it be good if we allocated $3,500 towards the transmitters?
• Jeanette - Would like the Board to read Simon’s report before allocating money towards the transmitter? She would like to see it keep moving forward.
• Julia - Depreciation is real assets losing value. We need to save as much money every year as is lost to depreciation.
• Jeanette - Does the Board have any thoughts on what we could do about the camping at the station problem?
• Noel - I would like to see a live-in at the station that would have the responsibility of dealing with this issue.
• Jeanette - The station is very inviting, with all the fruit trees, free coffee, bathroom and microwave. Staff is pretty burned out about dealing with this issue; the homeless have nowhere to go.
• Marcy - Programmers need a late night sign-in sheet for guests at the station, and a gate. We need to have more policing.
• Noel - I don’t think that programmers are the root of this problem. It is really part of the bigger issue of homelessness in our community. I don’t see where having a sign-in sheet for programmers is going to help. I think we need to talk about this issue in committee.
• Julia - Would like to see KMUD continue to be open to the community. Maybe designating volunteer hours as a policy would help. Mateel has a live-in.
• Siena - Suggests that Policy Committee address this issue.
VIII. Consent calendar
A. Rohn Jennings is appointed to Policy Com.
B. Jim Lamport is appointed Elections referee.
C. Board approves policy revisions re: appointment (rather than election) of the representative of the programmers and volunteers to the Management Evaluation Com. each year. See draft in Mar. 4 packet.
D. Jim Lamport is appointed to the Mediation Com, in a Community member seat.
• Julia moved that we accept Items B, C and D of the consent calendar. Noel seconded. Approved unanimously.
• Item A moved to New Business Item C.
IX. Treasurer’s report
• Julia - Finance Committee didn’t meet this month; scheduled to meet April 15. The budget – except for three lines – has been approved.
• The Website Committee also did not meet. Simon had requested funds to improve the website by hiring a consultant. A financial statement is included in the Board Packet.
• Jama recommends that before Julia leaves we table the Unfinished Business Action Item D. Budget.
• Nella said that the Treasurer’s report doesn’t need to be so eloquent; Julia recommends that the Treasurer’s report be quarterly.
X. Unfinished business
A. CPB requirements (see esp. pp. 16-17: CPB General Provisions)
i. reminder: HAF offers an upcoming class in multi-cultural inclusion
B. Auditor’s contract- Jeanette submitted all the changes to the Auditor.
C. Tech proposal – Jeanette thinks we need a $30,000 Tech Reserve.
• Nella would like to see us formally do something to protect our reserve.
• Noel - Can we use our line of credit for a tech reserve?
• Jeanette - We haven’t formally secured a line of credit.
• Marcy moved that we direct the Finance Committee to acquire the information we need that would allow us to acquire a line of credit. Noel seconded. Approved unanimously.
D. Budget - Nella moved we table this item. Noel and Christine second. Approved unanimously.
E. Re-define Treasurer’s responsibilities - Noel moved we discuss this at the retreat. Christine seconded. Approved unanimously.
F. Appoint Elections Com. and its chair - Noel moved that we appoint Mark, Jack, and Marcy to the Elections Committee with Mark as chair. Christine seconded. Siena offers assistance to Mark in the Members’ Rep election. Approved unanimously.
XI. New business
A. Schedule annual membership meeting
• Siena suggests the 17 June. ACTION: Noel will check availability of the Healy.
• Noel moved that the Annual Membership Meeting take place 17 June at 4 pm. Mark seconded. Approved unanimously.
B. Board recruitment- Nella suggests Ben Schill. Noel suggests for Programmers’ Rep. Dan Murphy or B’Anna Frederico.
C. Rohn Jennings appointment to Policy Committee
• Jama - Rohn volunteered for this appointment. Policy Committee needs new members who are willing to do stuff.
• Mark moved we appoint Rohn Jennings to Policy Committee. Noel seconded. Approved unanimously.
A. Programmers’ Reps. – Jack proposed a meeting before the Pledge Drive: 19 Apr? Another proposed date is 10 May. ACTION: Programmers’ Reps are encouraged to discuss this by email.
B. Members’ Reps. - No report.
C. Community Advisory Boards - No reports.
D. Correspondence Secretaries - Christine sent out a thank-you to Kelly Lincoln which was returned. Suggested to use her KMUD box. ACTION: Jeanette will email Christine a list of thank-you’s. Jama suggested there were some stand-out people from the Silent Drive: Mish Bartlett, Dennis Lewis, and Scott Kender.
E. Development Com. - No report.
i. Pledge Drive subcom. Next drive: April 22 to May 1, with the theme: Cannabis. Goal: $95K.
F. Policy Com. - No report.
G. Mediation Com. - No report. (New member Jim Lamport was confirmed.)
H. Management Evaluation Com. – Siena distributed a report.
I. Transition Com. - Met on 17 Mar. with Jeanette, Marcy, Nella, and Noel at Café Bella.
XIII. Schedule - monthly meeting times of Committees
Unless otherwise noted, all meetings take place at KMUD, 1144 Redway Dr., Redway, CA.
If you plan on attending a meeting, it would be wise to confirm no changes have taken place.
A. Board of Directors May 6, 5 pm; Healy Senior Center
B. Development Apr 7, 3 pm
C. Executive Apr 14, 11:30 am
D. Policy Apr 14, 3 pm
E. Finance Apr 15, 3 pm
F. Website Apr 8 or 15, 10 am
G. Board Talk Show Apr 9 - Jack, Siena, and Christine
Minutes submitted by the Secretary on 24 May, 2014.
Redwood Community Radio Board of Directors
May 21, 2013 -- 4 pm
Healy Senior Center, 456 Briceland Road, Redway
Call to Order: Meeting Ground Rules and Opening Comments from President
Roll Call: Siena Klein, Vice President, Member's Rep; Julia Minton, Treasurer, Members' Rep; Noel Soucy, Secretary, Programmers' Rep; Jordan Jumpshot, Programmers' Rep; Nella White, Members' Rep; Marcy Stein, Programmers' Rep; ex officio member: Jeanette Todd, Station Manager.
Not present: Antonia Lamb, board-elected; Suzanne Beers, President, Board-elected.
Also present: Jama Chaplin, Maria Savage, Rohn Jennings, Simon Frech, Behr, Christine Doyka, Bob Stern.
Approval of Minutes: April- Nella moves to approve the Minutes. Julia seconds. Minutes approved with a friendly amendment. Unanimous.
Approval of Agenda: Julia moves to approve the Agenda. Marcy seconds. Agenda approved unanimously.
Open Time: Speakers will be assigned an amount of time not to exceed 5 minutes
Jama Chaplin- Jama wants to urge Maria to say something. Last time she brought up the by-laws to the Board that call for equal access to the airwaves. Kerry wants to put out the word for a volunteer or two to make coffee. Our PSA policy suggests that people who can use PSAs are non-profits, and people that have a personal emergency. The PSA pollcy needs to be revised to say that the non-profits do not have to be incorporated.
Rohn Jennings- Rohn wants to see the contract with CPB regarding the transmitters. He heard that All Sides Now was used for a list of thank yous to an event, and he was wondering if that was true.
Siena- Thank you.
Maria Savage- Maria is interested in being on the Board. Jama was the one who suggested it to her. She is currently a volunteer and helps with stories on the news. She loves the station, and has lived here for 30 years. Her background is in newspapers and magazines. She is a liberal supporter of everything. She doesn't know if she is qualified to be on the Board, but she is here to listen today. She feels like KMUD is the most welcoming and inclusive of all the organizations she has worked with, and she says thank you.
Signal Quality Report
Simon is working on the problems with signal quality. He may have to hire expert advise to work out the remaining bugs.
Management Report (See written report in public file.)
Discussion/Questions for Management Julia reported that a goal is to have DonorSnap ready to go in time to enter pledges directly into computer(s) during the August special Pledge Drive.
Jeanette reported that she had asked eight contractors to do the ADA project (including handicapped parking place), with no luck.
A. Vacation Pay- Second Reading- The second paragraph of Policy 18.104.22.168, Vacations, is revised to read: "Vacations pay, or payouts of accrued vacation time, will be based on the employee's current pay rate." This is the second of two Board considerations of this policy change. Julia moves to approve, Marcy seconds. Unanimously approved.
Treasurer's Report (See writen report in public file)
A. Revisions to Compliance Calendar- We have made a lot of revisions to the Compliance Calendar, and we need to provisionally approve it until more information is added. Noel moves to approve the Compliance Calendar, draft dated 5/13/13, provisionally until the insurance details are added. Nella seconds. Unanimously approved.
B. Technology Proposal- Noel moves to table. Marcy seconds. Unanimous.
C. Board Recruitment- Nella moves to appoint the two Board-elected seats at the August meeting. Marcy seconds. Four in favor, with one abstaining (Julia).
A. Standards of Conduct Policy Proposal- Marcy moves that we accept the Standards of Policy Proposal, draft dated 5/17/13, with Nella seconding. Unanimous approved.
A. Programmers' Reps- There will be a Programmers and Volunteers Meeting on 8th June at 1 PM, where we will have a forum about the open Programmer's Rep seat, among other topics. Agenda TBA.
B. Members' Reps
C. Advisory Boards (CAB's)
D. Correspondence Secretaries
Other Committee Reports
A. Development, including Pledge Drive Subcommittee
C. Policy (See written report in public file.)
D. Website (See written report in public file.)
Scheduling -- proposed meeting times are:
A. Annual Membership Meeting, June 25, 4 pm, Healy Senior Center
B. Board of Directors: June 25, following Annual Meeting, Healy Senior Center
C. Executive Committee: Monday, 10 June, 4 pm, Studio B
D. Finance Committee: Tuesday, 18 June, 3 pm, KMUD
E. Development Committee: 1st Monday, 3 June, 3 pm, KMUD
F. Policy Committee: 10 June, 12 pm, KMUD
G. Transition Committee- TBD
H. Website Committee: 2nd Tuesday, 11 June, 10 am, KMUD
I. Mediation Committee- June TBA
J. Strategic Planning Working Group- July TBA
K. Next Board/ Staff Meeting- August TBD
Minutes respectfully submitted by Noel Soucy, RCR Board Secretary, on August 27, 2013