When you look at your November California ballot this year you will see 11 propositions for your consideration, including two (prop. 30 and 38) to fund shortfalls in education, a repeal of the death penalty (prop. 34), a reform of the Three-strikes law (prop. 36), and a measure that would require labeling of genetically engineered foods (prop. 37). On Monday, September 24 at 7 p.m., the League of Women Voters of Humboldt County (LWVHC) has scheduled a live presentation, "The Pros and Cons of the Ballot Propositions," to be held at the Fortuna City Council Chambers, located at 621 - 11th Street in Fortuna. The community is invited to attend this free event. For more information on this event, contact the LWVHC at 444-9252 or visit on-line at: lwvhc.org. The "Pros and Cons" Booklet can be downloaded from the "Additional Resources" below.
The list below is from the California Secretary of State website and contains a .pdf file with the Summary Analysis for each of the propositions. Below that list are listings of additional resources to help you become informed about these ballot measures. This resource page is a work in progress so check back occasionally for new information. Click here for a Resource Page on the CANDIDATES.
Click on the linked text to see or download a pdf file with the Summary Analysis for each of the propositions:
- Proposition 30 - Temporary Taxes to Fund Education. Guaranteed Local Public Safety Funding. Initiative Constitutional Amendment.
- Proposition 31 - State Budget. State and Local Government. Initiative Constitutional Amendment and Statute.
- Proposition 32 - Political Contributions by Payroll Deduction. Contributions to Candidates. Initiative Statute.
- Proposition 33 - Auto Insurance Companies. Prices Based on Driver's History of Insurance Coverage. Initiative Statute.
- Proposition 34 - Death Penalty. Initiative Statute.
- Proposition 35 - Human Trafficking. Penalties. Initiative Statute.
- Proposition 36 - Three Strikes Law. Repeat Felony Offenders. Penalties. Initiative Statute.
- Proposition 37 - Genetically Engineered Foods. Labeling. Initiative Statute.
- Proposition 38 - Tax to Fund Education and Early Childhood Programs. Initiative Statute.
- Proposition 39 - Tax Treatment for Multistate Businesses. Clean Energy and Energy Efficiency Funding. Initiative Statute.
- Proposition 40 - State RedistrictingSenate Districts. Referendum.