According to a news release from the Eureka Police Department, dated Feb. 3, 2012:
On Feb. 1 through Feb. 2, 2012, investigators and agents from multiple federal, state, and local agencies participated in a two day anti-crime/anti-gang sweep in Humboldt County. The operation was planned and coordinated by the FBI’s North Bay Regional Gang Task Force under their Safe Streets Violent Crime Initiative. (“SSTFs focus primarily upon street gang and drug-related violence and address specific violent crime problems through the teaming of federal, state, and local law enforcement officers and prosecutors.”).
The operation was hosted by the Eureka Police Department and the teams were led locally by the Humboldt County Sheriff’s Office’s Community Response Unit (CRU) and the Eureka Police Department’s Problem Oriented Policing Unit (POP). Approximately 22 agents and investigators with the Federal Bureau of Investigation, California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation/Parole (CDCR), Humboldt County Probation Department, U.S. Marshall’s Office, Humboldt County Sheriff’s Office, and Eureka Police Department participated in the gang task force sweep. Over a two-day period, the task force executed a series of parole and probation searches at various locations within Humboldt County primarily targeting previously identified members of violent street and/or prison gangs. These targeted searches were designed to gather intelligence, identify gang members and gang associates, and make arrests as appropriate.
During the course of the operation, a total of 15 suspects were arrested for various offenses ranging from misdemeanor and felony warrants, possession of drug paraphernalia, possession of a controlled substance (heroin and methamphetamine), possession of marijuana for sale, and parole and probation violations. Approximately 10 of those arrested were documented gang members. Those arrested during the gang sweep include:
- Jeremy Dean Wildman (moniker: Looney”), age 35 of Eureka, was arrested for possession of marijuana for sale after investigators found nearly 5 pounds of processed marijuana and multiple digital scales in his apartment on the 100 block of West Del Norte Street, Eureka.
- Scott Ryan Campbell (moniker: “Droopy”), age 35 of Eureka, was arrested for a felony warrant alleging violation of his post release community supervision. Campbell was contacted with Wildman at his West Del Norte Street residence.
- Anthony Manuel Burgess (moniker: “Creeper”), age 19, was arrested for violation of his probation at a cottage on the 2900 block of California Street, Eureka.
- Corey Allen Cole (moniker: “Sinner”), age 29, was arrested for violation of his parole at the same cottage where investigators encountered Burgess.
- Zachery Jacob Chapman, age 34, was arrested in McKinleyville for a violation of his parole.
- Michael Thomas Meyers (moniker: “Flaco”), age 34, was arrested for violation of his parole at an apartment on the 700 block of 10th Street, Eureka.
Humboldt County residents are encouraged to call and leave crime tips using the following contact numbers:
- Eureka Police Department - Problem Oriented Policing Unit: (707) 441-4373.
- Humboldt County Sheriff’s Office - Community Response Unit Crime Tip Line: (707) 268-2539.
- Humboldt County Drug Task Force: (707) 444-8095.
The photos below show the six suspects listed above:
Jeremy Dean Wildman (left) and Scott Ryan Campbell (right)
Anthony Manuel Burgess (left) and Corey Allen Cole (right)
Zachery Jacob Chapman (left) and Michael Thomas Meyers (right)