21November2014

You can download these minutes as a pdf here
VISION Statement: Redwood Community Radio envisions a community of listeners who, guided by the example of RCR programming, work together to create better, more just and sustainable world systems, to ensure that all humans and other living species on earth move toward a higher quality of life, and are able to survive challenges in the times ahead.
MISSION: Redwood Community Radio will encourage a communication center of open airways (KMUD) for all voices to inform, educate, entertain and inspire the listening community through quality programming.
MINUTES
Board of Directors - Redwood Community Radio
Tues., 24 Sep., 2013 – 4 pm
Healy Senior Center - Redway, CA
I.Call to Order: Start of meeting was delayed ½ hour due to lack of quorum. Opening comments from the President. 
II.Roll Call: President Siena Klein, Members’ Rep.; Secretary Jack Frybulous, Programmers’ Rep.; Marcy Stein, Programmers’ Rep.; Mark Marchese, Board-appointed; Jeanette Todd (ex-officio), Station Manager. Christine Doyka is appointed at the beginning of this meeting. Absent: Treasurer Julia Minton, Members’ Rep.; Nella White, Members’ Rep. Late: Kim Peterson, Board-appointed; Vice President Noel Soucy, Programmers’ Rep. Others present: Jama Chaplin
III.Approval of Minutes – Marcy moved to approve the versions of July and August minutes that are in the Board Packet. Approved. 
IV.Approval of Agenda – KP moved that the Board add to the agenda “filling Antonia Lamb’s seat;” (since Antonia died Sept. 9); MS seconded. Marcy expressed appreciation of Antonia, and moment of silence was observed. Marcy moved that the appointment of David Ordonez to the Grievance Panel be considered at the next meeting. Agenda approved as amended. 
V.Open Time – At the discretion of the President, five minutes will be allowed for those wishing to address the Board.
JC reported that former President Suzanne Beers will be attending Antonia’s memorial. She requested that the Board consider having the Winter Holiday Appreciation Party in January. She asked whether we could cut costs by letting go of our NFCB membership, noting that there are Spinitron issues involved. 
VI.Election of Board Member to fill Vacancy – MS moved to elect Christine Doyka to fill Antonia’s seat; JF seconded. CD is elected unanimously and seated.
 
 
VII.Management Report – see also written report in Public File. KBOO “Family Values” discussion about working parts of this into Policy. NPR “Social media and ethics.” Silent drive letter in the packet. JT has written 3 airlines asking for tickets. World Radio Network has begun on HD2, but no contract yet. Staff can borrow radios to listen to HD2 stream. Battle of the Rock Bands and Halloween Boogie both upcoming. Underwriting for Emerald Cup to total $3000 over next 3 months. North Country Fair: Volunteer Coordinator Kerry Morgan was out all last week, but JT followed through with a pared-down operation; very disorganized; break even or possibly lose ~ $200. Impressed with Aug. pledge drive, “Take Five.” Fall trainings, volunteer orientations. Programmer meetings TBA for 2014. No movement on database, DonorSnap. ADA upgrade moving along nicely. Underwriting revenue still going up -- re-working schedule is bearing fruit. Barb Truitt working today on cash-flow projections. The budget we approved last month; JM mentioned excess spending in News Dept. Antonia’s memorial Oct. 19. $750/year to be cost of WRN. Budget last year $1500 for a Winter Party. SK suggests if party to be held at Beginnings: no live band.
VIII.Discussion / Questions for Management
 
IX.Consent Calendar – At MM’s request item A (Officer and Committee Appointments), is moved to Unfinished Business; items B and C are tabled until October, since the documents to be approved aren’t ready. 
 
X.Finance Committee Report - JT thinks we will bring in $80K to $90K in the Fall Pledge Drive. Creative ideas needed to find another $50K, but no momentum. Board must realize this money may not come forward: what we will do to make it up? Task and form a Committee with that? Ask Finance? SK suggests Board members attend Finance Cmte. JT suggests a deadline, next Board meeting. JC suggests Development Cmte. JT looking for direction from Board. Marcy reminds us we spend $300K/year on staff, must look at ways to reduce. JT doesn’t disagree, and thinks we need brainstorming sessions to think outside the box. JT asks for direction on where to go next. Noel suggests we consider a business venture. 
 
JF asks JT to present us with some options. SK: campaign to ask people who don’t pay taxes to donate; how encourage younger listeners? Closed session next meeting to discuss options. JC: CPB requires we have two full-time positions, one in programming. June and Aug. Board packets include CPB rules. Terri Klemetson,is changing her schedule. CPB gives us $135K, comes with a lot of red tape, and covers about half of staff costs.
 
 
JC: signal upgrade requires us to fulfill CPB Community Service Grant requirements for ten years. JT: yes, from Nov. 30, 2012. Development Cmte. will discuss. JC: $67K (unofficial reserve), down to $50K; Fitch estate a different thing, which is thought of for tech needs and building projects. JT, in response to MM: All silver was sold, with one IOU pending; proceeds going to Music Library fund.
XI.Unfinished Business
A.Appointment to Central Community Advisory Board (CAB) – Vote to appoint Rick Cooper. JF moves we vote, MS seconded. Board votes not to appoint. CD (as Correspondence Secretary) will inform him in writing.
B.Tech proposal – Equipment is heating up too often; JT will get a cooling system quote. NS moves to table, JF seconded, Unanimous.
C.Holiday party – Siena wants to see last year’s figures. Jack thinks the holiday party would be great before Xmas, Hanukah. JT will poll about dates and get back to us. Tabled.
D.Policy revision – Fair Access to Airwaves (FAA). JC gave some history: the former Fairness Doctrine law, and our current FD policy, stated that talk show hosts had to present all sides of an issue. The current practice is more like making room for other opinions to be expressed on a call-in show, which she finds preferable. But talk-show hosts don’t always take calls. JT: ethics of call-in talk hosts and community journalism. Questions about individual hosts’ ethics; its relation to our core values. Important for hosts to ID themselves, as well as how they’re affiliated with the topic. Host ethics not yet made into policy. SK reminds us: NW said we be more pro-active in suggesting programming. JC: The title is also a rough draft; another concept is “All Opinions Allowed On-air.” The Fair Access title also implies that it will get into who is invited to become a programmer. MM moves we review the FAA, discuss it in email, and Policy Com do further work. NS seconded. Unanimous.
E.Officer and Committee Appointments. NS moves we approve Board officer appointments (see Roll Call), with the addition of CD in both Correspondence Secretary roles; JF seconded. Unanimous. NS moves to table Committee appointments till next month. Unanimous. 
 
XII.New Business
A.Strategic Planning Meeting Outcome and Report – JT and NW received report (notes from flip-chart paper) from Barb Truitt, who suggests a professional facilitator for further progress. (Fund how?) JT points out Mission Statement is usually first step in making a Strategic Plan, and reminds the Board that the community wants RCR to have a Strategic Plan. JT reiterates that it’s important that we agree what our values are. What are we here to do? JF volunteers to be the Board Rep shepherding review of the Mission Statement. NS suggests Executive Com. take this on, and produce recommendation for whole Board. After discussion, NS moves we table this. 
B. Fall Pledge Drive Shortfall Contingency Plan – This was discussed under Finance Committee. 
C. Election of Board Member to fill Vacancy – See item VI. 
XIII.Reports
A. Programmers’ Reps – none
B. Members’ Reps – none
C. Community Advisory Boards (CAB’s) JT suggests we tell CAB to give us reports. NS will take this on.
D. Correspondence Secretaries. Siena reports that she thanked Rich Franciscovich for firefighting and grass cutting, the Mateel for loan of tents for Block Party, Marty Messenger for road signs, Dazey manager Darren Tomasini for a major discount on the pool, and Jim Lamport for help with elections. New Secretary CD will draft a thank you letter to Richard Parish for his report and for coordinating the Reggae coffee both, and circulate it for review. 
XIV.Other Committee Reports 
A.Development, including Pledge Drive Subcommittee. MS brings up Parish’s Coffee Booth report, and it was discussed.
B. Mediation – see report in Public File
C. Policy
D. Website – see report in Public File
E. Transition
F. Elections – see report in Public File
XV.Scheduling - monthly meeting times 
Unless otherwise noted, all meetings take place at KMUD, 1144 Redway Dr., Redway, CA.
A.Development 1st Mon., 3 pm
B.Executive Mon., Oct. 7, 1 pm
C.Website Tues., Oct. 15, 10 am
D.Policy 2nd Thurs., 11:30 am
E.Finance 3rd Tues., 3 pm
F.Board of Directors 4th Tues., 5 pm - Healy Senior Ctr.
G.Board talk show Oct. 9: new members and Noel
 
 
Final minutes submitted by Secretary Jack Frybulous on 28 Jan., 2014
 
MINUTES  
Redwood Community Radio Board of Directors
27 August 2013, 4 pm
Healy Senior Center, 456 Briceland Road, Redway
I.Call to Order:  Meeting Ground Rules and Opening Comments from Vice President Siena Klein, in Suzanne’s absence.  Siena thanks Jama for taking notes tonight. 
II.Roll Call:  Suzanne Beers, President, Board-elected; Siena Klein, Vice President, Member’s Rep; Julia Minton, Treasurer, Members’ Rep; Noel Soucy, Secretary, Programmers’ Rep; Nella White, Members’ Rep; Jordan Jumpshot, Programmers’ Rep; Antonia Lamb, board-elected; Marcy Stein, Programmers’ Rep; ex officio member: Jeanette Todd, Station Manager.
Board Members Absent:  Noel Soucy, Suzanne Beers, Antonia Lamb until 4:50. 
Others Present:  Jack Frybulous, Mark Marchese, Christine Doyka, Kim Peterson, John Casali, Maria Savage, Rob Bier, Jama Chaplin
III.Approval of Minutes:   (May, June, and July).  Julia moves to approve Draft 3 of May minutes, emailed Aug. 6.  Unanimous.  Marcy moved to approve Draft 3 of June minutes, in the packet.  Jack seconded.  Unanimous.  Marcy moves to table July, Nella seconds.  Unanimous. 
IV.Approval of Agenda:  Julia moves to accept the agenda, but move Open Time earlier in the meeting to accommodate speakers.  In addition Marcy offers this friendly amendment:  to table the CAB appointment until next month.  Revised agenda is approved unanimously except Jordan, who voted no.  (These minutes retain the original order, for convenience.)
V.Thank outgoing Board Members: Suzanne Beers, Jordan Jumpshot, and Nella White.
VI.Seat Member’s Rep (three year term)—Nella White was seated. The Board also seated Jack Frybulous as Programmer’s Rep (three year term).
VII.Elect one Director to a three year term. Elect one Director to a two year term. Hear statements from candidates.  Siena expressed to all three candidates that there is plenty of space available to help KMUD, in many ways.  Kim Peterson said that one of her limitations is a full-time job.  She can adjust her schedule for meetings.  She’ll help KMUD, whether she’s appointed or not.  Yes, she is interested in finances, since that’s what she does at her job – she needs to bring in every penny that she spends so that the twelve families depending on jobs at the Veterinary Clinic can eat.  She’s the Practice Manager at the Clinic, managing the operation.   Mark Marchese says that finances aren’t his thing so much; he’s more in the physical task realm, and he’s good at problem-solving.  Christine Doyka said she’d consider answering the phone at the office, but isn’t very good at math.  When asked for more of her background she said that she had gone as a Red Cross mental health worker to help after Katrina and Rita.  Jack asked each of the candidates to talk about how they might contribute to fundraising.  Christine said that as a Hospice volunteer she works at events.  Kim had some grantwriting experience at RRHC, working with the ED.  She initiated a “crisis fund” at the Vets’ Clinic for clients who couldn’t afford to save their pet, and that is a 501(c)(3) organization.  Mark has mainly fundraised for his kids’ activities.  
All candidates said that they would be willing to serve on a committee appropriate to their abilities, if not elected to the Board tonight. 
            Christine then announced that she withdraws from consideration, and will continue to do what she can for KMUD.  A coin was flipped to decide which of the remaining candidates got to choose between the two- and three-year terms.  Kim chose the two-year term.  They were welcomed, given Board Orientation Binders by Siena, and Christine was thanked.  
 
Discussion with Rick Cooper, CAB candidate.   Rick Cooper arrived during the past item, and was then filled in that the agenda item had been tabled.   He was asked if he would like to speak.  He expressed courteously that he did check the agenda to make sure the item was on the agenda before driving from LA….  Rick also thanked Suzanne, in her absence, for the great conversations he had with her.  He thanked the Board for adopting the non-discrimination policy.  When the Board votes on his appointment, or any other, please do so in that spirit.  The CAB is important, mandated by the FCC, and is often ignored / neglected.  Rick has worked in four radio stations, and generally, the volunteers want to keep the status quo, the staff struggles to keep up with work and keep the bills paid, and the CAB is the resource for innovation.  KMUD has a great mouth, but the CAB can be the ears.  He emailed the Board yesterday.  Whether he is appointed or not is less important than the revitalization of the CABs.  Julia mentioned the Northern CAB as needing someone to organize them.  Rick said he would be happy to work with both groups, and it seems to him that neither is doing much.  
VIII.Preliminary Appointment of President, VP, Treasurer, and Secretary- Board will discuss final appointments at upcoming orientation, along with Committee roles.  Jack said that if a laptop with WiFi and Word could be found, he would seriously consider being Secretary.  Antonia makes a similar statement.  After discussion, Julia moves the following:  Siena as President, Marcy as VP, Julia as Treasurer, Antonia as secretary with assistance from Mark.  Unanimous.  
Jeanette asks the Board to consider who could serve as timekeeper for these meetings. 
IX.Open Time: Speakers will be assigned an amount of time not to exceed 5 minutes. 
John Casali:  Would like KMUD to speak the truth about bad environmental behavior.  He has many photos to prove his point that there is way too much trash dumped in various places in SoHum.  Paul Encimer and Verbena are helping to define KMUD as a far-left station.  There have also been seven assaults, five rapes, breakins, vandalism, and suicide in recent times.  There have been nine fires. Verbena hung up on all callers who didn’t agree with her.  She’s a liar.  She and Encimer personally attack me.  I have spent $50,000 of my own money so that they don’t destroy where I live. Siena asked, John, what would you like KMUD to do?  John says that  if he doesn’t get help from the community….  Marcy says that as a radio station we don’t take a stand on issues; people who are on-air do so.  We provide the vehicle.  
Rob Bier discussed the difficulties of getting ballots to all of KMUD’s members.  He registered his lack of a ballot three weeks ago, but still didn’t get anything in the mail until he took further steps himself.  He and another member turned in their ballots on Tuesday, August 20, and were told by Jim Lamport that they were too late.  This is an organizational deficiency.  I hope all of you will take this abject failure seriously, and dedicate yourselves to solving this problem.  Your legitimacy as a Board is at stake.  
Siena thanks Rob for his input and agrees that the problems need to be solved.  
X.Management Report (See written report in Public File).  Jeanette highlighted the progress in Underwriting income.  We need to do more outreach in Northern Humboldt.  With completion of the concrete slab, we are 1/3 to ½ way done with our ADA work.  We have a contractor on board for that, but funding is a concern.  Jeanette described the evolution of the News Dept. since the resignation of the second News Coordinator.  Now Terri is News Director, and will soon start teaching at Humboldt State, and available to KMUD less days per week.  It’s good that we now have a group of capable news anchors.  News cassette archive needs to be digitized for preservation.  Reciprocation: we need to “give back” more nowadays to people who give to the station.  Jeanette also discussed healthcare reform; she put information in the July packet.  Jeanette discussed the Programmer’s Agreement, and Marianne’s recent decision to now circulate it every two years.  After license renewal filing, FCC called her to say that separate filings needed to be done for KMUE and Shelter Cove, which she did – remember that for the next renewal in 2021.
XI.Discussion/Questions for Management: Regarding Fall Pledge Drive goal, the budget calls for either $125,000 as the goal, or some other plan to raise that amount in memberships.  Jeanette explained the new schedule slots for underwriting messages.  
 
XII.Consent Calendar (no items). 
 
XIII.Finance Committee Report.  Barb Truitt came to the meeting, and we should be able to move forward on cash flow projections soon.  With that functioning, we won’t have to depend on Budget-to-Actuals for cash flow management.  Today I bring to you the final, final 2013 Budget, Page 40, which you have seen before.  It’s still not completely balanced, but is as close as we can get.  We discussed how much time has gone into budget revision discussion at Committee, and that in the future it would be better to approve the budget once, accompanied by a Budget Narrative, and then develop subsequent Budget Narrative Notes as the year evolves.  Dian will attend a board meeting to introduce the board to our financial statements.  
When Fitch funds arrive, we’ll repay our last lender, and then have roughly $100,000.  We’ve already approved $3500 for the Music Library Digitization. Archiving News is also a priority.  You’ve seen Dave Smith’s proposal for the completion of Studio D.  We’ll finish the Music Library Addition, including heating and A/C.  Double paned windows for the News Room are needed.  We may have to do work on the roof (Jeanette will have an appraisal very soon.)  Non-prioritized things that we discussed included a PBX telephone system.  All of these things would exceed the Fitch disbursement.  
Mark mentions that the Healy Center was selling its old heating system at their garage sale.  Jeanette will follow up.
Marcy asked about the over-budget spending on News staff.  Julia said that later in the meeting when we approve the budget, she will also propose approval of higher spending levels for four of the line items, including News Stringers.  Since we have only one News Coordinator, we’re paying for the other anchors out of the News Stringers line – and this is a transition phase. 
Jeanette says that she has committed to writing a Budget Narrative, could not complete it for this board meeting, but will for next time.  
XIV.Unfinished Business
A.Technology Proposal – tabled, motion passed unanimously (it is already late in the evening). 
B.Compliance Calendar Revision- tabled, unanimously. 
C.Appointments to the CAB – tabled at Agenda Approval.
D.Policy Revision “Fair Access to the Airwaves”- replacing the Fairness Doctrine.  Tabled unanimously. 
E.Policy Revision- Disciplinary Policy – tabled unanimously. 
F.Budget Approval.  Julia explains the Signal Upgrade revenue item at the bottom of her proposed budget – a reimbursement for some 2012 expenses which aren’t a part of our operating budget for 2013, so it’s separated out to avoid confusion.  She says that her proposed draft is the best snapshot possible of the year 2013.  That said, it’s known that News Stringers, Novelty Purchases, Construction & Labor, and Liability Insurance have already exceeded budget.  Therefore Julia recommends that the board also authorize the spending in those lines.  
Marcy asked why we went over-budget on Novelties – did we run out of novelties and need to order more?  Julia said the budget number was $7500, and current spending is $13,000.  Julia recommends that we don’t spend more this year.  Jeanette says that we had two cases of mistake shirts.  We have already met our budget for Novelty Sales Revenue, but not the $13,000.  
Nella says “so moved” – to approve the budget presented by Julia in the board packet, plus her four additional spending approval items.  Mark seconds.  Unanimous. 
 
XV.New Business
A.Request Finance Committee Recommendation for Fitch Estate Disbursement – tabled unanimously. 
B.Budget Approval for North Country Fair Coffee Booth – Jeanette is not ready with figures, but does not expect costs to exceed the $1500 she is authorized to approve. 
C.Schedule Orientation.  Siena had suggested earlier that it be made shorter by having the orientation to financial statements be brief, and the report from the auditor at another time.  Jeanette had to leave, but said she would arrange venue and food.  Julia would like Dian and the auditor to come to different board meetings.  Orientation is scheduled for Sept. 17, 12-4.  Siena will check with Kim about this.  
D.Collect contact information from new Board Members – Siena did so and will circulate a new Board Contact List, a part of the Board Orientation Binder that she distributed to new board members today.  
E.KMUD Winter Holiday Appreciation Party – tabled unanimously.  
 
XVI.Reports 
A.Programmers’ Reps
B.Members’ Reps 
C.Community Advisory Boards (CAB’s) 
D.Correspondence Secretaries – Siena will thank Jim Lamport for being our election referee once again. 
E.Staff meeting report, and appoint next Board member(s) to attend
XVII.Other Committee Reports 
A.Hiring Committee – doesn’t exist at this time; an error that it’s on agenda.  
B.Development, including Pledge Drive Subcommittee 
C.Mediation 
D.Policy 
E.Website (see written report in Public File)
F.Transition Committee
XVIII.Scheduling -- meeting times are:
A.Board of Directors:  4th Tuesday, 4 pm, Healy Senior Center
B.Board’s Strategic Planning Retreat:  September 10th.
C.Executive Committee:  2nd Monday, tentatively 3 pm, Studio B
D.Finance Committee:  3rd Tuesday, 3 pm, KMUD
E.Development Committee:  1st Monday, 3 pm, KMUD
F.Policy Committee:  2nd Monday, 11 am, KMUD
G.Website Committee:  2nd Tuesday, 10 am, KMUD 
 
 
Final minutes respectfully submitted by Noel Soucy, KMUD Vice Pres. on 12 December 2013. 
 
Minutes  
Redwood Community Radio Board of Directors
4 PM- 23 July, 2013
Healy Senior Center, 456 Briceland Road, Redway
I.Call to Order:  Meeting Ground Rules and Opening Comments from President 
II.Roll Call:  Suzanne Beers, President, Board-elected; Siena Klein, Vice President, Member’s Rep; Noel Soucy, Secretary, Programmers’ Rep; Nella White, Members’ Rep; Jordan Jumpshot, Programmers’ Rep; Antonia Lamb, board-elected; Marcy Stein, Programmers’ Rep; ex officio member: Jeanette Todd, Station Manager.
Absent: Julia Minton, Treasurer, Members’ Rep.
III.Approval of Minutes:   May and June. Not approved yet.
IV.Approval of Agenda: Agenda was approved.
V.Open Time:  Speakers will be assigned an amount of time not to exceed 5 minutes
Jama- Thanks Suzanne for your service to the Board. Jama wanted to acknowledge the time Suz put in to this organization. Jama would like to see us start paying the Senior Center for Board Meeting space. Also it would be good if we could help out the Senior center and volunteer for the yard sale. It is important for the Board not to micromanage staff, however the Bylaws require the Board to ensure equal access to the airwaves and quality programming.
VI.Management Report (See written report in Public File)
Some items in the Compliance Calendar are finished, and we got an extension on our CPB audit. Jeanette is wondering what people think about closing the office on Fridays to allow Staff that work on Friday to stay focused.
VII.Discussion/Questions for Management 
Jama- Wants to hear about who is organizing for the ROTR Coffee Booth. She would like to see this work not predominately done by Jeanette.
Jeanette- The idea is for the volunteer coordinator to organize volunteers and not work at the festival. Our Coffee Booth coordinator has proposed to take a certain percentage of the profits for running the booth, and Jeanette is working out the details.  The “Fundraising Stipends” policy could use clarification.
Suz- Is the License Renewal Application ready for August 1st?
Jeanette- The application is not ready. Jeanette doesn’t have any law experience, and made some calls to find out if we could contract with someone for this. She got a quote for around $8,000, but that is too expensive.
VIII.Finance Committee Report 
The Treasurer is absent.  Barb Truitt reported that she has been working with the Finance Committee, and will be funded by Humboldt Area Foundation through the remaining Technical Assistance Program funds.  She has spoken with Jeanette and Julia about revamping the Chart of Accounts to more closely align with CPB requirements, asap, so that future budgeting and long-awaited Cash Flow Projection can be done with that new Chart. She’ll have a report for the Board at the August meeting.
        Barb recommends that one person at KMUD looks at every element with frequent regularity.  Jeanette has too much on her plate to do this, and it’s not clear who can. 
       Jama said that at the Finance Com. meeting, when time was up they hadn’t achieved a new budget draft to propose to the Board.
       Jeanette reported that she and Dian worked on the line items that had been identified at the Finance meeting -- Office Supplies, Studio Supplies, and News Dept.  50% of the items in the Office Supplies line had been mis-categorized, which led to the over-budget amount.  Same with Studio Supplies, to a lesser extent. Because we haven’t hired a second news anchor, the pay for that person has been coming out of News Stringers, so that line is over-budget.  
IX.Unfinished Business
A.Technology Proposal- Tabled unanimously.
B.Compliance Calendar Revision- Tabled unanimously.
C.Appointments to the CAB- Rick asked us to table that. Suz moved to table this item until next month. Antonia seconds. Two abstained, motion passes to table.
X.New Business
A.Appointments to the Grievance Panel- Marcy moves that we appoint Carol Van Sant and Sandy Tilles. Siena seconds. Board approves the appointments unanimously.
B.Policy Revision “Fair Access to the Airwaves”- replacing the Fairness Doctrine. An initial discussion occurred, and language will be proposed later.
C.Policy Revision- Disciplinary Policy- Jordan moves to approve this policy revision, the draft dated July 19. Siena seconds. Unanimous.  This will receive its second consideration next month. 
D.Budget Approval- Suz would like to charge the Finance Committee to have a special meeting to create a budget that we can approve before the next meeting. Antonia moves that we table budget approval until next month. Marcy seconds. Unanimous.
E.Call for nominations for Board-elect seats.  None at this time; nominations are due by August 21. 
F.Close office to public one day a week- Nella moves that we provisionally close the office for one day a week, and that we re-evaluate in three months, except in case of an emergency. We leave the decision up to Jeanette to decide which day to close the office. Marcy seconds. Unanimous.
XI.Reports 
A.Programmers’ Reps- The Block Party was really great. There was a Programmer and Volunteer Party before that. Both events went really well. There were programmers there that we haven’t seen. Just offer free beer, and they will come.
B.Members’ Reps- The Ballots have been mailed out, and will be counted on August 20th.
C.Community Advisory Boards (CAB’s)- No report this month. Jeanette thinks the CABs need direction. We need to ask them for things. We should show them the CAG report from KHSU. Jordan offers to edit the KHSU CAG report for our CAB’s use.
D.Correspondence Secretaries- Thankyous- Rich Franciscovich for weed whacking which reduced fire danger, and helping to save KMUD from a brush fire yesterday, Marty Messenger of County Roads for dropping off and picking up signs to close the road for the Block Party, Darren Tomasini at Dazeys, Northern Nights for giving us a booth space, The Mateel for loaning shade tents.  During the break Suzanne received a gift and a thank you card, since she will miss the August meeting, when her term ends. 
E.Staff meeting report, and appoint next Board member(s) to attend
XII.Other Committee Reports 
A.Development, including Pledge Drive Subcommittee – The Pledge Drive Committee is moving along with planning the upcoming August Pledge Drive. 
B.Mediation
C.Policy- See Written Report in Public File. We need another Board Member on the Policy Committee.
D.Website – See Written Report in Public File. 
E.Elections- Ballots should be mailed on 5th business day in July. At Executive Committee we acknowledged that the ballots were going to be sent out at a later date. The Ballots were mailed out today, July 23rd. Members will still have the same amount of time to vote, and the Ballots will be counted on August 20th.
F.Transition
XIII.Scheduling -- proposed meeting times are:
A.Board of Directors:  27 August, 4 pm, Healy Senior Center
B.Executive Committee:  12 August, 3 pm, Studio B
C.Finance Committee:  20 August, 3 pm, KMUD
D.Development Committee:  5 August, 3 pm, KMUD
E.Policy Committee:  12 August, 11 am, KMUD
F.Website Committee:  13 August, 10 am, KMUD 
G.Board/Staff Strategic Meeting: August TBA
XIV.Closed Session- Personnel items
 
Minutes respectfully submitted by Noel Soucy, RCR Vice Pres, on 12 December 2013. 
 

Kenneth-Ray-Richards

Previously missing person located.

On 12-06-2013 at about 4:00 p.m. the Humboldt County Sheriff’s Office received a call from the Mendocino County Sheriff’s Office (MCSO) asking for help identifying an adult male they had detained in the Redwood Valley area of Mendocino County. The male had been reported as a suspicious person outside a church. When MCSO Deputies arrived on scene the male subject appeared disorientated, but otherwise unharmed and could not answer questions. MCSO could not positively identify him but noted he was wearing a sweatshirt with “Humboldt” printed on the chest. The sweatshirt prompted investigators to contact Humboldt County for help identifying the male. MCSO sent the Humboldt County Sheriff’s Office a photograph of the subject.

The male in the photograph was positively identified, by Humboldt County Sheriff’s Deputies, as Kenneth Ray Richards (30 years old) of Loleta. Kenneth was reported missing by his mother on this date at about 7:30 a.m.

Kenneth’s mother was notified that he was located.

Previously: On December 6, 2013, at approximately 7:30 a.m. the Humboldt County Sheriff’s Office received a report of a missing person. The mother of Kenneth Ray Richards reported that her son had been taking care of her residence, located in the 3100 block of Table Bluff Road, Loleta while she was out of town for the last week. On 11-29-2013, she spoke with Kenneth on the telephone and everything was fine. When she arrived home on 12-4-2013, he was gone. She checked with neighbors and they had not seen him. A deputy located a witness who saw Kenneth near the intersection of Quinn Road and Table Bluff Road on 12-4-2013 during the day, and the witness told the deputy Kenneth seemed disoriented.

The mother told the investigating deputies that Kenneth has been known to take walks to Table Bluff or down to the South Jetty. He does not have a car. The mother told investigating deputies this is very unusual for Kenneth.

Kenneth Ray Richards is described as: White male adult, 30 years old, 5’9” tall, 150 lbs, blond short hair, blue eyes. He is believed to be wearing yellow or blue jacket and a black DC hat.

Anyone with information for the Sheriffs Office regarding this case or related criminal activity is encouraged to call the Sheriffs Office at 707-445-7251 or the Sheriffs Office Crime Tip line at 707-268-2539.
Mike Downey
Sheriff

Kenneth-Ray-Richards-scan

ZachariahFriedland

The Humboldt County Sheriff’s Office is requesting the public’s help in locating a wanted suspect.
Zachariah Scott Friedland, 35 years old, has two felony warrants for his arrest. The first warrant is for unlawful sexual intercourse with a minor, contributing to the delinquency of a minor and oral copulation with a minor, the bail is set at $110,000.00. The second warrant is for
possession of a controlled substance and possession of stolen property. There is no bail on the second arrest warrant.

Anyone with information for the Sheriff’s Office regarding this case or related criminal activity is encouraged to call the Sheriff’s Office at 707-445-7251 or the Sheriff’s Office Crime Tip line at 707-268-2539.

Mike Downey

Sheriff

 

trinitysheriffstarOn December 4, 2013 at approximately 1:34 pm the Trinity County Sheriff’s Office received a call from a residence in the Peanut Mill Camp located outside of Hayfork, CA. It was reported that 2 armed male subjects dressed in all black and wearing ski masks entered the residence in Peanut Mill Camp and held two men that lived in the residence at gun point. The two men were detained within the residence while the suspects stole an unknown amount of processed marijuana and firearms from the residence. The two suspects left the residence in a vehicle that was stolen from the victim’s residence and left in an unknown direction. A search of the area by the Trinity County Sheriff’s Office and the California Highway Patrol was unsuccessful. A BOLO for the stolen vehicle was put out to neighboring counties. The case is under investigation and as of the time of this press release the stolen vehicle has not been located.

The description of the vehicle stolen at the scene is a dark blue 1994 Chevy Astro Van with a California License plate DP034CE. The van has a painting on the back door of a pig’s head with the words “A Pigment of Your Imagination” around the pig’s head also painted on the door. Please contact your local Law Enforcement Agency or Trinity County Sheriff’s Office at 530-623-2611. Do not contact subjects in the vehicle please call Law Enforcement if the vehicle is spotted.

TCSO Case Number: 2013001331

Agencies involved:

Trinity County Sheriff’s Office, California Highway Patrol

sheriffstarOn 12-5-2013, at approximately 12:30 a.m., the Humboldt County Sheriff’s Office received a call regarding a home invasion robbery, which just occurred in the 3600 block of A Avenue, Hydesville. When deputies arrived on scene, they met with the two victims, a  55 year old male who is the homeowner, and his 38 year old male friend who was visiting from Fortuna. They told the deputies they heard a knocking at the front door of the residence at approximately 11:30 p.m., on 12-4-2013. When the homeowner answered the front door, an unknown black male adult shoved a dark colored semi auto handgun into his face and said, “Get on the ground, I’m not playing”. Five or six other black male adults all wearing dark colored clothing, gloves, ski masks and pantyhose over their faces armed with dark colored semi auto handguns ran into the residence demanding marijuana and cash. The homeowner was tied up with zip ties around his wrists and ankles then left on the floor near the front door. One of the suspects then rummaged through the homeowners pockets and removed his wallets and keys. The homeowner was then dragged into a bathroom while the suspects demanded to know where the safe was inside the home. Suddenly one of the suspects yelled they needed to leave, all the suspects fled. The suspects stole approximately 150 pounds of processed marijuana in seven 50 gallon plastic garbage bags, along with the homeowners keys and wallet.

            The second victim related the same story to the deputies as the homeowner, however, told the deputies he had been tied up by a different suspect who used duct tape. The second victim was dragged into a back bedroom and told not to move. One of the suspects held a gun to his back during the entire robbery.

            After the suspects fled the scene the second victim was able to free himself and untied the homeowner.

            The suspects fled in two newer white sedans and a newer white Chevy Tahoe.  The victims were not injured.

Anyone with information for the Sheriff’s Office regarding this case or related criminal activity is encouraged to call the Sheriff’s Office at 707-445-7251 or the Sheriff’s Office Crime Tip line at 707-268-2539. 

Case:  201306032

 

 

 

Mike Downey

Sheriff

####

 

This holiday season you can air a personal message on KMUD
and receive a beautiful holiday card
with the custom messaging information of your choice
to present to that special someone.

MessageBrochure-p1.1100

For a full-size brochure to print out, please click hereYou can also call the KMUD office and request a copy, or simply send all the information to KMUD with payment enclosed.

MessageBrochure-p2.1100

For a full-size brochure to print out, please click here. You can also call the KMUD office and request a copy, or simply send all the information to KMUD with payment enclosed.

 

 

glass mug with KMUD logo

These mugs could be considered a collectors item; they were made when KMUE was still broadcasting on 88.3 FM, but otherwise they're good as new. Whether you're enjoying a cup of tea, coffee with or without milk, or you fill it with beer or juice, this cup will remind you that you are part of a great radio station.

In the Fall 2013 pledge drive, all new members are eligible for one of these mugs. We would prefer if you could pick up the mug at the station, so we could save on shipping cost.

 Rug detail

Every call and pledge, also online, will be entered into a raffle for this beautiful rug, donated by Himalayan Rug Tradersand the drawing will be held Wednesday night (November 20). 

Page 4 of 16
by acls us
by acls us

Our Mission and Vision

Vision Statement: Redwood Community Radio envisions a community of listeners who, guided by example of RCR programming, work together to create better, more just and sustainable world systems to ensure that all human and other living species on earth move toward higher quality of life and are able to survive the challenges in the times ahead.

Mission Statement: Redwood Community Radio will encourage a communication center of open airways (KMUD) for all voices to inform, educate, entertain and inspire the listening community through quality programming.

listenlive  

 

Redwood Community Radio, Inc. • PO Box 135 - 1144 Redway Dr. • Redway, CA 95560 • Office (707) 923-2513 • News (707) 923-2605 • Studio (707) 923-3911