CAL FIRE is currently accepting applications for the positions listed below. Both positions have a Final Filing Date of November 30th, 2020. Interested parties are encouraged to follow the links below to learn more about the positions. Those interested can also contact their local CAL FIRE facility to discuss either of these positions further.
Fire Fighter I
- The FFI Hiring advertisement has been posted on CalHR with a Final Filing Date of 11/30/20.
- The Fire Fighter I advertisement can be found at https://jobs.ca.gov/ by searching for Job Control #218264 or by clicking the following link: https://www.calcareers.ca.gov/CalHrPublic/Jobs/JobPosting.aspx?JobControlId=218264.
- Please call FFI Hotline (951-901-5060) if you have questions regarding the filing process.
Applicants only need to be at least 18 years of age at time of appointment to qualify, however additional training will be required. Applicants with, or in the process of obtaining the training, will rank higher in the hiring process. College of the Redwoods offers a State Firefighter training program which provides the required training. This program currently is currently in session, running from October through January. Interested parties are still encouraged to apply as other opportunities for the training may arise.
Defensible Space Inspector
- The Defensible Space Inspector – Forestry Aide (DSI) Hiring advertisement has been posted on CalHR with a Final Filing Date of 11/30/20.
- The DSI advertisement can be found at https://jobs.ca.gov/CalHrPublic/Jobs/JobPosting.aspx?JobControlId=221599
- Please call DSI Hotline (951-901-5066) if you have questions regarding the filing process.
Every year is different, and funding and staffing levels vary. Considering that five of the six largest wildfires in California’s history occurred this year, and multiple other recent years of high fire activity, 2021 may present additional staffing needs for CAL FIRE.
Here are links to a couple videos showing some of what a CAL FIRE Firefighter does. The routine cooking, cleaning, and other chores are generally left out of these videos…