The Redwood Discovery Museum is seeking an Executive Director. The Discovery Museum is an interactive children’s museum, summer camp and preschool program located in Eureka (www.discovery-museum.org). This is a 32 hour per week with some schedule flexibility, $17.00 per hour position for an energetic and positive person. Early Childhood Education or Child Development background preferred. Please include a cover letter, resume, and at least three references to [email protected] or mail 612 G Street, Eureka, CA 95501 (due to COVID restrictions, please do not drop off at the Museum). Resumes will be accepted until April 15, 2021.
The Executive Director is the Chief Executive Officer of the Discovery Museum. The Executive Director will be thoroughly committed to Discovery Museum’s mission. All candidates should have proven leadership, coaching, and relationship management experience. The Executive Director reports to the Board of Directors, and is responsible for the organization’s consistent achievement of its mission and financial objectives.
In program development and administration, the Executive Director will:
- Assure that the organization has a long-range strategy which achieves its mission, and toward which it makes consistent and timely progress.
- Provide leadership in developing program, organizational and financial plans with the Board of Directors and staff, and carry out plans and policies authorized by the board.
- Promote active and broad participation by volunteers in all areas of the organization’s work.
- Maintain official records and documents, and ensure compliance with federal, state and local regulations.
- Maintain a working knowledge of significant developments and trends in the field.
In communications, the Executive Director will:
- See that the board is kept fully informed on the condition of the organization and all important factors influencing it.
- Publicize the activities of the organization, its programs and goals.
- Establish sound working relationships and cooperative arrangements with community groups and organizations.
- Represent the programs and point of view of the organization to agencies, organizations, and the general public.
In relations with staff, the Executive Director will:
- Be responsible for the recruitment, employment, and release of all personnel, both paid staff and volunteers.
- Ensure that job descriptions are developed, that regular performance evaluations are held, and that sound human resource practices are in place.
- See that an effective management team, with appropriate provision for succession, is in place.
- Encourage staff and volunteer development and education, and assist program staff in relating their specialized work to the total program of the organization.
- Maintain a climate which attracts, keeps, and motivates a diverse staff of top quality people.
In budget and finance, the Executive Director will:
- Be responsible for developing and maintaining sound financial practices.
- Work with the staff, Finance Committee, and the board in preparing a budget; see that the organization operates within budget guidelines.
- Ensure that adequate funds are available to permit the organization to carry out its work.
- Jointly, with the president and secretary of the board of directors, conduct official correspondence of the organization, and jointly, with designated officers, execute legal documents.
- Unwavering commitment to quality programs and children;
- Excellence in organizational management with the ability to coach staff, manage, and develop high-performance teams, set and achieve strategic objectives, and manage a budget;
- Past success working with a Board of Directors with the ability to cultivate existing board member relationships;
- Strong marketing, public relations, and fundraising experience with the ability to engage a wide range of stakeholders and cultures;
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; a persuasive and passionate communicator with excellent interpersonal and multidisciplinary project skills;
- Action-oriented, entrepreneurial, adaptable, and innovative approach to business planning;
- Ability to work effectively in collaboration with diverse groups of people;
- Passion, idealism, integrity, positive attitude, mission-driven, and self-directed.