KMUD values helping people stay connected and spreading the word. However, as a Volunteer- and Staff-Powered Community Radio Station, KMUD lacks resources to convert press releases, brochures, calendars, & posters into ready-to-air Announcements.
Public Service Announcements (PSAs) are short, "non-commercial" announcements that benefit the intended audience, rather than a company or organization. Short, 10- to 60-second radio spots are available for community associations, advocate groups, and organizations that are promoting non-profit events. KMUD donates this air time to meet Federal Communications Commission public service requirements.
Must contain information that is beneficial to the community
Should not include controversial or self-serving material
- Please send your Announcements to [email protected] & also to our News Director at [email protected]
How PSAs differ from Community Calendar Submissions
Public Service Announcements are 30-60 seconds and are read (or pre-recordings are played) every day on KMUD.
Community Calendar events are read during the 6:30-7pm Community Announcements Monday through Friday, typically 2-4 days before the event. To submit, please visit the Post an Event page
Instructions for PSA Submission
- Keep it basic. State the facts. Keep your PSA between 10 - 60 seconds (about 15-100 words).
- Include Contact Information and necessary dates and times.
- Provide pronunciation (pro-NUN-see-A-shun) of difficult words and names. Remember, PSAs are read out loud!
- Type out email addresses and websites. For example, www.getyourpsaread.com/
submission is better as: www (dot) get your PSA read (dot) com (slash) submission. The email address, [email protected] yourcompanyname.com can be written: John Jonston (at) Your Company Name (dot) com.
- No 'Calls to Action': Regulations require that we do not urge listeners to carry out an action. Please use neutral wording such as "You are Invited to.." or “You can join us…” etc.
- Please, do not mention Price or Cost. "Ticket information is available at ... " or “For more information contact …” are good ways to connect the listener to more info.
- Last, but not least, READ YOUR PSA OUT LOUD TO YOURSELF to ensure it sounds appropriate and comprehensible for radio listeners
- Remember, one mistake in a number can make or break the effectiveness of your PSA. Please double-check and edit before you submit!
Garberville Library presents “Kids Create,” a creative reuse workshop with SCRAP Humbodlt; designed for children 0-8 years of age. The event takes place Thursday, Feb 25th, from 1 - 2 pm at the Garberville Library, 715 Cedar St in Garberville. Learn all about creative reuse. This workshop includes a hands on activity, a craft project that participants can take home, and a new way of looking at discarded materials. Contact (707) 923-2230 for more information. To find out more about events like this, you can visit Humboldt Gov (dot) org (slash) Garberville Library or find SCRAP Humboldt at Humboldt (dot) Scrap Creative Reuse (dot) org.
**KMUD reserves the right to edit announcements before broadcast. KMUD does not guarantee all announcements will be broadcast, as time is limited.