Vision: Redwood Community Radio envisions a community of listeners who, guided by the example of RCR programming, work together to create better, more just and sustainable world systems to ensure that all humans and other living species on earth move toward a higher quality of life and are able to survive challenges in the time ahead.
Mission Statement: Redwood Community Radio will encourage a communication center of open airways (KMUD) for all voices to inform, educate, entertain and inspire the listening community through quality programming.
Ground Rules: Speak respectfully to one another. Focus on issues, not personalities. Support the facilitator. No interruption. Make criticism constructive, specific, substantiated and, ideally, when the person(s) are present. When required, a five-minute break shall be granted to attendees to encourage peaceful communication. Speakers during Open Time will be assigned an amount of time not to exceed five minutes. Any further discussions during the meeting will be between Board Members unless a guest is acknowledged by the Facilitator or is scheduled as part of the agenda.
Draft Proposed Agenda
Redwood Community Radio Board of Directors
Tuesday July 11, 2023, 3:00 p.m.
Meeting ID: 810 7547 4860
One tap mobile: +16694449171,,81075474860# US
- Call to order, establishment of a quorum & selection of facilitator
- Roll Call
BOARD-APPOINTED MEMBERS: Treasurer Flurina Niggli, President Nadine Chapdelaine, Secretary Tonya Farmer
MEMBER REPS: Chestine Anderson, George WinterSun, Stephanie Thomas
PROGRAMMER REPS: Javier Rodriguez, Vice President Lisa “Luv” Deny
STATION MANAGER: Allison Kolb
III. Approval of June Minutes
IV. Approval of Agenda
V. Open Time
VI. Consent Calendar
VII. Management Report
VIII. Finance Committee report
IX. Old Business
A. Mural art
B. Business license
- Volunteer Agreement Policy, Second Reading – Attachment I
- Programmer’s Agreement Policy, Second Reading – Attachment II
X. New Business
A. Sound Board
B. Budget Review
C. Appointment of Parliamentarian
XI. Committee Reports
- Programmer representatives
- Member representatives
- Community Advisory Board (CAB) – Siena Klein
- Correspondence Secretary – Anderson
- Development – Deny
- Membership Drive – WinterSun
- Policy – Chapdelaine
- Mediation – Rodriguez
- Building and Grounds – Rodriguez
XII. Committee Meeting Schedule
All meetings take place on-line until further notice. Those interested in attending one should first check to make certain that no changes have been made in this schedule. Zoom meeting IDs, pass codes, phone numbers and links for the Board meeting can be found on the email that is distributed before the meeting. For access to other meetings, please contact the committee chair.
Board of Directors 2nd Tuesday, 3:00 p.m.
Membership Drive 3rd Tuesday, 4:00 p.m.
Development 3rd Wednesday, 3:00 p.m.
Policy 4th Wednesday, 11:00 a.m.
Executive 4th Wednesday, 12:00 p.m.
Finance 3rd Tuesday, 3:00 p.m.
CAB Quarterly, 5:00 p.m.
Board Talk Show August 9th 7:00 p.m.
XIII. Closed session
Thank you for volunteering at KMUD!
KMUD depends on volunteer energy. To offer the community great programming, access to the airwaves, and a diversity of voices, we need to pay the bills and keep our facilities maintained. From answering phones during the fund drives to tidying up the kitchen and staffing benefit events, volunteer energy is the glue that holds it all together. In this way, each volunteer, whether they are a programmer, is a citizen of the KMUD community. These are some elements of that citizenship.
- I agree to obtain permission from the Station Manager or Board of Directors before acting as a spokesperson or agent for KMUD and before using KMUD’s name in association with any public event or activity.
- I agree not to be impaired by alcohol or controlled substances while performing volunteer activities for KMUD.
- If I so choose, I may exchange six hours of volunteer work (pre-approved by the Station Manager) for a one-year membership in KMUD.
- If I perform six hours of approved volunteer work within a six-month period, I will be eligible to vote for and run for the positions of programmer/volunteer representatives on the Mediation Committee and the Management Evaluation Committee. I will also have access to the problem-solving procedure, if needed.
Volunteer Date Signed
____Thank you for your time and energy!
6.1 Programmers Agreement
10/23/06; 2/28/12; 2/14/17; 8/8/17; 4/8/19; 10/14/20
By signing this, I acknowledge that I have read and agree to be bound by all the information contained in the Operator’s Handbook and other documents given to me at training, which include relevant rules and regulations of the Federal Communications Commission (FCC), as well as relevant policy and procedures of Redwood Community Radio (RCR). I also realize that the full Policy Manual of RCR hangs on the bulletin Board at the station for my reference. These rules, regulations, policies, and procedures include the following:
1. I understand that RCR runs substantially on volunteer energy. I agree to volunteer at least 10 hours annually in addition to my show.
2. It is my responsibility to coordinate my own volunteer hours. I will keep track of my hours and submit in writing or by email the number of hours volunteered and the specifics to the Program Director(s).
Below, please check off all areas that you are interested in.
- I will engineer.
- I will serve on the Development Committee, the Membership Drive Committee, or other committees (such as Website, Emergency Preparedness, Volunteer or other).
- I will help with membership drives by answering phones, bringing food, producing, organizing, coordinating. If you have a specific preference for spring or fall, please indicate: __________________________.
- I will volunteer at events, doing such tasks as coordination, sponsorship solicitation, food/bar, set up/clean up, general. If you have a specific preference, please indicate: __________________________.
- I will help with tabling, either coordination or tabling. If you have a specific preference, please indicate: __________________________.
- I will volunteer in the library.
- I will volunteer in the newsroom.
- I will help with yard work. Please list specific skills: _______________________________________.
- I will help with building maintenance projects Please list specific skills: _______________________________________________________.
- I will perform office work, including filing, phone answering, etc.
- I will help with mass mailings by stuffing envelopes.
- Other. Please explain: ________________________________________.
Exceptions will be discussed, pending circumstances.
- I understand that I am responsible for the quarterly submission of accurate playlists.
- 2. I understand that my status as a programmer and my association with KMUD is subject to periodic review by the Program Selection and Review Council and can be terminated by the Public Affairs or Music Programming Director and/or Station Manager at any time with sufficient reason. My show may or may not be scheduled for continued broadcast beyond this agreement. Any such terminations can be appealed using the Problem-Solving Procedure (Policy 5.1.7).
- I understand and agree that my show may be pre-empted by the Public Affairs or Music Programming Director, News Director, or Coordinator of the on-air fund-raiser in order to broadcast special programming. I understand that I may be required to engineer the broadcast studio during my usual time slot. As always, obtaining a qualified substitute is acceptable.
- I will not endorse or recommend while on-air any person, product, event, or commercial establishment, or any other entity, in exchange for my own personal gain, which can include (but is not limited to) receiving money, tickets, guest-list spots, merchandise, etc. (“payola”). All tickets given away on-air must be processed in advance by office staff. I will not endorse or recommend my own band, business, employer, etc. (“plugola”), unless done with candor, i.e., I will announce to listeners that I am in the band or am the producer of the event.
- Any call-in announcements must have verification from the News Department, or I must make a disclaimer that the announcement has not been confirmed.
- The following activities are prohibited on KMUD property, and may result in immediate suspension:
- Knowingly or willfully airing material of any nature, which could be considered obscene by FCC guidelines, at any time of the day or night. While not encouraged, material considered indecent by FCC and KMUD guidelines is allowed between 11 pm and 5 am only. (See list of terms posted in studios A and C.)
- Being impaired due to use of alcohol or any controlled substance while on-air.
- Theft of station property or resources (including, but not limited to, recordings of any kind) or “borrowing” of any property or resources without specific prior approval by the Station Manager or the Public Affairs or Music Programming Director. (Such activity could result in criminal prosecution.)
- Failing to appear for my show without prior approval by the Public Affairs or Music Programming Director (who must approve substitutes), except in unavoidable emergencies. I will communicate with them about any absences.
- On-air comments of a malicious or defamatory nature about any person, which could potentially subject KMUD to legal liability, or compromise KMUD’s integrity. Any on-air discussion of matters concerning disputes or disagreement within the station must have the prior approval of the Station Manager.
- I understand that as a programmer for a 501[c] organization, I cannot, while on-air, endorse (or encourage people to vote for or against) a political candidate or initiative. If I myself file for election to public office, I must refrain from programming until I am no longer a candidate.
- All food and drink is to be kept away from KMUD broadcast, production, and office equipment. I agree that I will be personally and financially responsible for any damage to such equipment resulting from the negligent spilling of food or drink, or any other negligent damage caused by me or by anyone present in the KMUD facility with my permission, or someone on the premises through my negligence. (It is KMUD policy that the front door is to be kept always locked so that no unauthorized persons enter and do damage for which I may be responsible.)
- I agree to attend at least one programmers’ meeting per year. I understand that if I miss a meeting, I am responsible for finding out what happened at the meeting. Meeting notes will be posted on the internet and on the bulletin board near the Policy Manual.
- I understand that no unauthorized guests are allowed on the station’s premises after normal office hours (9 am to 4 pm, Monday through Thursday). Furthermore, I have the responsibility to ask such persons to leave. Staff, programmers, and volunteers conducting station business who are authorized by staff or, ultimately, the Station Manager may do so after hours. Those persons may invite guests, who must always remain under their supervision.
- All communications with the public on behalf of KMUD will be carried out in a courteous manner. As a KMUD programmer, I understand that I may not represent myself as a spokesperson or representative of the station, except with the prior authorization of the Station Manager.
- I agree to not upload my recorded shows that contain any copyrighted content to the internet, including platforms such as Facebook, Spotify or personal blog pages. RCR pays royalties on content aired on RCR’s airwaves and on RCR’s webpage and archive. RCR does not pay performance royalties when the content is on any other site.
- RCR studios and equipment cannot be used to produce syndicated programming that financially benefits the individual programmer or program.
- Redwood Community radio acknowledges that volunteers have the right to private lives and independent modes of expression outside the RCR organization. As a representative of RCR, the role and responsibility of programmers regarding social media must be clearly defined and followed. Your words and actions reflect on you and RCR. We ask that you be thoughtful with the content you publish. Participation in social media is at an individual’s discretion. Please keep in mind the following policies:
- RCR encourages you to promote RCR programs, news, events
,and other activities on your social media sites.
- If posting any personal opinions related to RCR, clearly state that you are a programmer, volunteer, or staff member, and make certain to state that the views expressed are purely your own and not necessarily those of RCR.
- Do not register any social media usernames, Face Book pages, or other social media sites/services using “KMUD” or “Redwood Community Radio” without prior approval by the Station Manager.
- Any conduct which is impermissible under the law if expressed in any other forum is impermissible if expressed through a blog, Web site or social networking on or through Web sites or services such as Twitter, Face Book, or similar sites/services. For example, posted material that is discriminatory, obscene, defamatory, libelous, or threatening is forbidden.
- RCR encourages you to promote RCR programs, news, events
Programmer Date Signed
Program Director Date Signed